Most moving violations including speeding tickets have demerit points in Ontario.
When drivers receive a traffic ticket the reasons for fighting the ticket are two fold;
- To save or reduce the demerit points on the traffic ticket
- To keep the conviction way from the insurance company
When you fight a traffic ticket your looking to save money, keep insurance low and save demerit points.
Everyone should be fighting their traffic tickets to;
- save or reduce the demerit points,
- keep the ticket off the driving record,
- to avoid or reduce any insurance increases.
Many traffic tickets have hidden penalties other than demerit points, including licence suspensions and increased insurance premiums.
Any accumulation of traffic tickets on a driving record will dramatically affect the drivers insurance for up to three (3) years.
One traffic ticket may not affect the insurance but a second ticket will. Traffic tickets are kept on the driving abstract for three (3) years.
If the driver pays a first ticket, they do not know if they are going to receive another ticket in the three year period so you must dispute all traffic tickets.