G2 Driver Licences
Demerits and G2 Drivers
G2 drivers convicted of any of the conditions of a G2 driver will face;
- a fine between one hundred and ten (110) to five hundred (500) dollars,
- a thirty (30) day licence suspension for a first conviction,
- higher insurance rates.
Any conviction for violating a class G2 Drivers licence will result in a dramatic increase to the insurance rates for up to three (3) years.
G2 License holders must obey the following conditions or risk losing their driving privileges
- must have a blood alcohol level of zero at all times, and
- must ensure there is only one passenger per seat belt in the vehicle
- must not use a cellphone while driving.
Where the police find a G2 licence holder in violation of one of the conditions the police may remove the driver and tow the vehicle.
Additional Rules for G2 Licence Holders
- For the First six months after receiving the G2 licence the driver is only allowed to carry one passenger under the age of nineteen (19) years.
- After the first six (6) months must not carry more than three (3) passengers who are nineteen (19) years or under
G2 Licence Exemptions
The passenger restrictions for G2 drivers does not apply if a fully licensed driver is in the front seat of the motor vehicle or the passengers are members of the drivers immediate family
When Demerit Points Appear on the Licence
Demerit points are added to the driver’s licence only after the driver has been convicted of the traffic ticket, or the driver pays the ticket.
Drivers can reduce the amount of time demerits are on the driving record by applying for a trial date. The demerit points do not go on the driver record until the court date, which maybe three (3) to twelve (12) months from the offence date, depending upon the court.
Demerit points are kept on the driving record or driving abstract for two (2) years from the date the driver received the ticket, but the demerit points only go on the driving record upon conviction or payment.
The conviction or sometimes called a “line on your abstract” for the traffic ticket goes on the driving record for 3 years from the court date, or 3 years from the date the ticket was paid.
Class G drivers licence holders are allowed to accumulated a total of 15 demerit points.